Under general supervision, performs general maintenance and repair activities of the City’s airport.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Conducts lawn and landscaping maintenance tasks for the entire airport; performs carpentry, plumbing general maintenance and mechanical work; responds to emergency calls for maintenance service.
- Ensure airport movement and non-movement areas are free of debris and in usable condition.
- Performs janitorial services within the air traffic control tower and the terminal building.
- Maintains and repairs the airport security gates and fencing to ensure the airport is secure.
- Maintains and repairs the airport’s runway lighting system to ensure operational efficiency.
- Repairs maintenance equipment to ensure safety and appropriate operation.
- Attends equipment operation and safety training as assigned.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Building maintenance and repair methods and practices.
- Carpentry, plumbing and electrical maintenance and repair methods and practices.
- Runway lighting system maintenance and repair methods and practices.
- Laws, ordinances, rules and regulations governing airport operations.
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules and regulations.
- Texas local government codes.
- Business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications.
- Handling situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgment.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Understanding and applying City policies and procedures, and applicable federal and state regulations.
- Operating various motorized maintenance equipment and vehicles.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School diploma or equivalent; AND three years’ experience in municipal airport maintenance operations; OR
an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Possession of a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Work is performed both in an outdoor and indoor work environment. May be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions and hazardous chemicals. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: October 29, 2021 at 11:59 PM CST