Performs technical inspection work in a specialized field in the promotion and enforcement of effective fire prevention standards and methods.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
- Prevents, controls, and mitigates dangerous conditions related to storage, use, and handling of hazardous materials; provides information to emergency response personnel in accordance with the fire code. May be required to respond to multiple alarm fires to observe and report any unusual fire hazards near the burning building, may serve in the Department's Incident Command System. May respond to incidents if other fire department resources are not available or to assist the incident commander.
- Ensures that all special events requiring Fire Department approval are safe and conducted in accordance with applicable codes, laws, and ordinances. Acts as Fire Department liaison for major events taking place in the city.
- Inspects occupancies such as hospitals, nursing homes, foster homes, day care centers, and schools as prescribed by code; acts as liaison between Spokane Fire Department and State Fire Marshal's office; assists with the establishment of fire evacuation plans and fire prevention training programs. Assists Fire companies with multi-family residential and other related inspections.
- Promotes public fire safety education through speaking assignments; develops and promotes activities for Fire Prevention week, develops, trains and coordinates industrial and commercial fire organizational programs; acts as Fire Department liaison to various organizations.
- Investigates complaints of fire hazards; reports violation of law and established safety standards; may be required to obtain, prepare and present evidence in the prosecution of violators.
- Participates in performance testing of required fire detection and suppression equipment and helps ensure all required systems are maintained in accordance with code.
- Performs inspections for life safety items at selected locations that apply for a City of Spokane business license. Conducts inspections for required permits as called for in the City Municipal and Fire codes. Inspects the installation and removal of underground and aboveground storage tanks.
- Prepares reports and maintains records of inspections.
- Performs related work as required.
Lateral Entry Requirements:
NEW: In compliance with the Washington State Governor's Proclamation 21-14-1, all employees in this classification shall be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless the employee is granted a medical or religious exemption that the City can reasonably accommodate.
- Experience :
- Completion of two years of combined total service as a Fire Inspector, professional career Firefighter, or Fire Equipment Operator with a municipal or county Fire Department or Fire District, military fire service, or state Fire Marshal's office.
- Licenses and Certifications:
- Applicants must possess a valid driver's license.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification is required at time of hire.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and pass the examination for this position to be eligible for hire with the City of Spokane.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Applications must be completed and submitted before 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Upon request, at time of application, the City will provide alternative accessible tests to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.
The examination will consist of a Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) with scoring weight assigned as follows:
• T&E: 100%
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE EVALUATION DETAILS:
The T&E with instructions will be emailed out via a link from FastTest (firstname.lastname@example.org). Upon passing minimum qualifications, you will be notified of when to expect the link for the examination.
- Responses to your T&E questions should be consistent with the information given in your application details, and are subject to verification.
- Failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score; therefore, it is advantageous for you to provide a full and complete response to each question.
- Resumes or questionnaires uploaded as attachments to the application will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question online.
- "See Resume" or "See above", etc. are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Changes or corrections to your responses cannot be made once your T&E has been submitted.
It may be more efficient to develop your responses in a word processing document and then paste them into the online questionnaire to be submitted.
T&E Examination links will be sent prior to 8:00 a.m. on the start dates, and will expire at 4:00 p.m. on the due date as listed:
Thursday, November 11, 2021 through Tuesday, November 16, 2021
Thursday, December 2, 2021 through Tuesday, December 7, 2021
Thursday, January 20, 2022 through Tuesday, January 25, 2022
: You may complete your exam any time during the test period, and you can exit and re-enter the test. You may take the exam
during the open recruitment period.
Additional examinations shall be administered as applications are received with results merged into one eligible list according to final ratings, pursuant to the Merit System Rules of the Civil Service Commission: Rule IV, Section 13 - Continuous Examinations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status. As a Fair Chance employer, City of Spokane does not conduct initial background screening for non-public safety positions.
Closing Date/Time: 2022-01-18