New York, New York, United States,
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc., the company behind beloved brands such as Food Network, HGTV, TLC, and Discovery. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers.
Most recently, in January 2021, our group launched discovery+, a global streaming service across Web, Connected TV and Mobile devices -- serving as the definitive destination for real life entertainment.
Discovery Digital is seeking an exceptional UX Design Manager responsible for leading and aligning user experience across several teams , while guiding the career of their team members to help them realize their full potential. The UX Design Manager is a fierce user advocate, thoughtful leader and expert in problem-framing, effectively collaborating across teams to rally the proper resources behind the right objectives.
- Manage and mentor a team of individual contributors tasked with executing the user experience for complex digital products, applying systematic thinking and a customer-first mindset across multiple product lines, platforms and devices
- Own and communicate the UX strategy for 2-3 workstreams, the plan(s) to realize it, and collaborate with Product Design, Product, Research, Engineering, and other stakeholders to execute it in alignment with broader company goals
- Work closely with multidisciplinary teams to ensure that UX, and the product as a whole, are best informed by various forms of customer data - both qualitative and quantitative
- Identify individual designers’ strengths and specialty areas, and tailor execution and resourcing approach to achieve optimal results
- In an agile setting, prioritize UX tasks and effectively communicate project goals, instructions and assignments to junior team members. Provide continuous feedback and ensure that design progress, issues & risks are timely communicated across teams and dependencies
- Ensure that the daily UX practice is cohesive and adheres to the highest standards and practices, while proactively acting on new opportunities to optimize people, process and deliverables
- Actively educate internal groups about user experience and provide a significant contribution to the development of cross-discipline relationships
- 7+ yrs of experience in the field of user experience within a large-scale consumer-facing organization, or multi-platform company
- 2+ yrs of experience managing and mentoring teams in a large, complex organization
- Degree in Design, Interaction Design, HCI, Product Design or similar field and/or combined work experience required
- Experience designing 10ft, VUI, Connected and Multi-Modal Product Design Systems
- Deep knowledge and experience in Mobile, Living Room & Connected Product Environments
- Proficiency in high-level strategic thinking, with the ability to identify and communicate cross-product impacts and opportunities
- Ability to both lead and play a hands-on role, to produce best-in-class UX thinking and solutions, as demonstrated through measurable results
- Strong mastery of UX toolset and best ways to apply each: Figma, Miro/Mural, InVision Tools, Adobe Suite and rapid prototyping
- Expertise leading designers to partner effectively with Research and Data Science to drive customer understanding and advocacy, as demonstrated through continuous and actionable learnings
- Expertise in Design Thinking & Agile development methodologies -- in remote, in person and hybrid settings
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills, with ability to adapt methods of communication to the audience and setting
- An online portfolio of work that clearly showcases your approach to leading UX teams to produce results, as well as your individual contributions; your methods, artifacts and the impact that your work made on the user experience.