Job Posting Title
Health Equity Specialist
340 OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
340 District 2
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
The annual salary for this position is up to $60,000.00, based on education and experience.
The Health Equity Specialist roles & responsibilities are designed to provide professional level work that will involve assisting with the strategic design, implementation, and evaluation of health equity efforts. This position will assist with identifying and working with community-based organizations and leaders and engage with various organizations to focus on addressing COVID-19 public health disparities among populations at high-risk and underserved, including racial and ethnic minority populations, and rural communities.
Position Responsibilities /Essential Functions
- Supporting the evaluation and expansion of the rural public health capacity, with a focus on understanding and addressing local health disparities among populations at high-risk and underserved, including racial and ethnic minority populations and rural communities.
- Leading outreach to high-risk and marginalized communities to better understand needs, facilitate information sharing, and improve health outcomes.
- Work with a wide range of stakeholders to collect data related to public health and race.
- Prepare for and attend strategy and planning meetings with the full range of stakeholders in order to assess the effectiveness of tactics and strategies.
- Lead the development and coordination of targeted health equity promotion programs including place-based and health plan level initiatives.
- Works with other multi-cultural engagement team members and engages regularly with trusted community voices, providing equitable and accessible information on public health and services to support high-risk and underserved, including racial and ethnic minority populations and rural communities.
- Develops health disparity education materials, outreach and dissemination strategy, with a focus on high-risk and underserved, including racial and ethnic minority populations and rural communities.
- Liaise with data analysts in design of analyses, data visualization, develop monitoring tools, presentation of findings to leadership audiences.
- Facilitate meetings and discussions with diverse groups of community stakeholders and other service providers.
- Promotes knowledge sharing on diversity, equity and inclusion: Fosters and seeks out learning and sharing of knowledge related to this area of expertise.
- Support the education of staff on cultural competency to ensure a culture of inclusion for all clients regardless of race, ethnicity or language.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Behavioral Health, Social Work, Public Health or other related fields and 3 years of years of experience focused on Health Equity, Social Determinants of Health, Community Health and/or Community Engagement.
- Working with and supporting diverse populations, including minority communities and underrepresented groups
- Experience with Microsoft 365 for business, Tableau, and project management tools.
- Familiarity with Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) standards.
Valued Knowledge, Skills and Abilitie s
- Knowledge of the principles of business or public administration; federal and state laws and regulations relating to grant administration, accounting, contracting, and purchasing; processes for the procurement of a variety of goods and services; maintenance of complex and confidential records; supervisory principles and practices; business communications including grammar, punctuation, and spelling; and business mathematics. Values diversity, equity and inclusion and articulates the value it brings to the organization.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and track multiple ongoing projects; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; communicate very effectively both orally and in writing; interpret, analyze, and resolve administrative matters in accordance with agency policy; exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions; and review and analyze financial data. Ability to actively support diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrate very strong skills in organization and documentation, problem solving, and computer skills including command of Word, Excel, HMIS, and any other database software(s) used to track work outputs. Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a variety of settings with culturally diverse persons and communities, with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
Physical Demands and Work Environmen t
Work is typically performed in an office setting with a climate-controlled settings and exposure to moderate noise level. While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to talk, stand, sit, walk, stoop, lift, bend, push and reach with hands and arms. This position requires long period of sitting and daily use of computer and phone. Travel may include traveling during inclement weather. Ability to drive for hours at a time.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on 'Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma'.